Your personal information
Students’ Union Management System Ltd. collects personal information about you upon downloading of the mobile ordering application and further information upon registration and/or usage of the application. We use this information to facilitate your membership and provide you with access to relevant services. This notice explains more about how we use your personal information.
- What information we collect about you
- Information we may share with other organisations
- Information processed abroad
- How long we keep your information
- Accessing your information and other rights
- How to object or withdraw consent
- How to contact us
- How to complain
What information we collect about you and how we use this
We collect the following information when you use the application:
- If you are a student member, we collect your email address (use: to determine your student status and personalise your experience on the App).
- If you are not a student member, we collect your name and email upon registration (use: to allow you to have a profile on the App, and let you know relevant information such as services and products you may be interested in and identify you when you sign into your account). We provide this information to your appropriate Students’ Union to help to facilitate your membership.
- We collect your voting preferences when using the elections service (use: to calculate elections and ensure your vote is included).
- We collect details of your transactions on the App, including your purchases of memberships to Groups and your purchases of event tickets (use: to assign you to the correct Groups and facilitate your membership; and enable you to enter Events).
- We collect analytics about how you are using the SU App, so we can improve our services, and help your Union improve its offering.
Information we may share with other organisations
There are times when we may need to or would like to share information with other organisations.
The main people we share information with is the Union you are a member of.
Details we share include data such as your email address, the details of your votes during elections (anonymised), and your transactions for products including but not limited to memberships and events. To this to let your Union facilitate your memberships, elections and services.
We may also share analytic data with the Union you are a member of, to help it improve its services.
We use a number of suppliers who process personal information on our behalf. These include suppliers of software services. These act strictly on our instructions and must not use the information for their own purposes.
In exceptional circumstances we may be asked to share your information with police or other investigators if it would prevent or detect crime or safeguard a person’s wellbeing. Each instance will be judged on its own merit and any sharing of information will be done within the law.
Information passed abroad
In some circumstances Students’ Union Management System Ltd. may need to transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA). If this is the case Students’ Union Management System Ltd. will make every effort to ensure that there are adequate levels of protection and safeguards in place so that your data is handled appropriately and securely in accordance with data protection laws.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal data only as long as necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected (unless otherwise advised) and in accordance with the Students’ Union Management System Ltd. records retention schedule.
Data will be kept securely and destroyed when no longer required. We may also decide to archive some data. For more information regarding the retention of your personal data please contact the Data Protection Officer on [email protected]
If you access additional Students’ Union Management System Ltd services these may keep a record of your contact and will provide you with details of how long they keep your information.
Accessing your information and other rights
You have a number of rights relating to your personal information. These include:
- Access: You have the right to request a copy of any personal information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of any of your information, please contact the Data Protection Officer on the details below. Your request will be processed within 30 days.
- Portability: If you have provided information on the basis of your consent or for a contract, then you can request a digital copy, so you can send it to another organisation. To request a copy please contact the Data Protection Officer on the details below. Your request will be processed within 30 days.
- Correction: If any of the information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, then please let us know. You have the right to have your information corrected so that we hold accurate records about you.
- Erasure: This is also known as the right to be forgotten. You can request that your personal information is erased if it is no longer necessary for us to keep it, or you withdraw consent that you have previously provided, or you object and there are no overriding grounds to keep it or if it is unlawful to continue to keep it.
- Restriction: You can request that the use of your personal information is limited to storage only and that we use it for no other purpose. This applies where you contest the accuracy of the personal information we hold, or our use of the information is unlawful, or we no longer need the information except in relation to legal claims, or you object to the use of your data and we need to verify whether or not our purpose for keeping it overrides the grounds of your objection.
The Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email on [email protected]
How to object or withdraw consent
If you object to our use of your personal information, then we must stop unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for continuing. Please contact [email protected] and explain your objection.
If you have provided your consent for the use of your personal information, then you can withdraw this consent at any time. Consent can be withdrawn by contacting the Data Protection Officer who will consider your request in accordance with data protection laws.
How to contact us
For general enquiries please email [email protected]
If you have a query about your personal information rights, then please contact the Data Protection Officer by email on sums.su
How to complain
If you feel that we have let you down in relation to your information rights, and you wish to lodge a formal complaint, then please follow the Students’ Union Management System Ltd complaints policy, a copy of which can be found on our website. Complaints should be made to a Director of Students’ Union Management System Ltd. by emailing [email protected]
You can also make complaints directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO is the independent authority upholding information rights for the UK. Their website is ico.org.uk and their telephone helpline number is 0303 123 1113.